Circumference of Shame

sailing south along Cape Cod
in the hush marsh
bleeding indifference
as the tide comes in
your hands were sultry
black
kissed with
sand
Jamaica came into our love
that moment
though I was draped in a T-shirt
twice my size
surprise in my eyes
led to weeping of my secrets
but the bass was hot and salty
and the lemonade was so sweet
I questioned its necessity
its necessity to treat me
more kindly than the
woman serving it
and all of my imperfections
so haplessly
25 years ago
this
day

-----

Ernest Williamson III has published poetry and visual art in over 240 online and print journals. He is a professor at Essex County College and a PhD candidate at Seton Hall University. You may visit his gallery at http://www.yessy.com/budicegenius/

No comments:

Copyright 2010-2019 St. Somewhere Press All rights reserved.
Copyright of individual works contained in St. Somewhere Journal remain the property of their respective authors.